General information about the world of motorhome rentals in USA in particular and RV rentals in North America
Where can I hire a motorhome in the U.S.A?
In United States we provide rentals in more than 250 locations for renting a motorhome in U.S.A. The main gateways for international travellers into the US motorhome itiniraries are: Los Angeles, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Denver, New York, Seattle and Miami
Where can I park a trailer in the USA?
The most popular source for camping grounds in united States is www.woodalls.com. In the USA parking outdoors acceptable and allowed in most places but absolutely forbidden in the national parks without prior reservations. There are some free Campgrounds where you can park your camper in USA for free, and additionally there are thousands of RV parks and campgrounds with designated fee. A famous and very useful website for free campsites in the U.S.A is Freecampsite.net
Popular sightseeing for RV motorhome trips in the USA
There are several amazing and breathtaking USA national parks such as: Yellowstone, Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Arches, Bryce, Zion, Smoky Mountains, US Rocky Mountains, Upstate New York, and Niagara Falls.
The list is endless, click here to see our map of the most popular places to see in the USA
Which is better? Motorhome hire in the East coast of USA or in the West coast U.S.A?
This "million dollar" question :-) It is difficult to choose between good and good. So many amazig choices. The answer depends on when you travel, the length of your trip, the season and weather and of course your budget.
People who like travelling the East coast will say: We Can see the Sunrises, a lot of History, witness a beautiful autumn in the North East, and the constantly great weather of Florida.
West Coast lovers will say: We have the most beautiful national Parks, the Pacific Ocean, Grand Canyon, amazing forests, and more.
Well, it's hard to say. We suggest you try both and decide by yourself :-)
Where to travel with a rented caravan in the USA?
It is very common to explore the USA with a Motorhome via one of four popular routes:
1. The classic U.S.A West coast southern tour: California (Los Angeles, San Francisco, and San Diego), Nevada (Las Vegas and the great national parks), and Arizona. Yosemite National Park, Joshua Tree National Park, Sequoia National Park and Death Valley National Park are very popular stops in thies area.The West Coast Golden Triangle refers to San Francisco, through Los Angeles and ending in Las Vegas or vice versa.
2. The USA West Coast northern tour starts in Seattle or Portland giong through the Olympic national park, the American Rocky Mountains including Yellowstone National Park, Grand Teton National Park, Mount Rushmore, Big Horn National Park, Devil's Tower, Cody and the borders on the east in Denver Colorado or in Salt lake City Utah.
3. The USA East Coast southen tour includes Florida (Miami, Orlando, Key West, Everglades National Park) up to Atlanta Georgia and the Great Smoky Mountains. Many take the opportunity to visit Dineyworld and the beaches of Florida.
4. USA East Coast northren tour includes New York, Cape Cod, Acadia National Park, The White Mountains in Adirondack Natinonal Park, Niagara falls, The Thousand Islands, , Philadelphia, Washington D.C, and the Appalachian Mountains.
Another very common route is driving 'coast to coast' from the East Coast of USA to the West Coast. 2 options are very popular:
- Starting in New York, going south to Florida and continuing all along the southern part of the USA passing through Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and ending in California.
- Starting from New York and driving along the northern part of the USA through Upstate New York, Niagara Falls, Chicago, Rapid City (Black hills / Mount Rushmore), Big Horn Natinoal Park ,Cody, Yellowstone National Park, and continuing all the way to the West Coast shoreline of Washington State, Oregon, and Northern California.
Should I bring or buy child safety seats when traveling with a motorhome in the USA?
Besides obciously wanting the best for your kids, Child Safety seat laws in each of the 50 states and the District of Columbia are strict. Please note that the law generally requires also older children to ride properly restrained in a booster seat, secured by the vehicle’s safety belt system. Age coverage and other specific requirements vary by state.
Please also remember that a specific state law does not necessarily represent the best practice. We recommend that you follow the laws of your original country as the minimum requirement for restraining your child while traveling. Children should use a booster seat until they weigh between 80 and 100 lbs. or 35 and 45 kg, and are at least 4'9" (57 in.) or 145 cm tall, so that they can pass the Safety Belt Fit Test. For most children, that will be between ages 8 and 12.
For more detailed information on state child safety seat laws and laws regarding seat belt use for older children, visit the Safe Kids website at www.usa.safekids.org. Scroll down to “Learn about Child Safety Laws and Regulations” on the right side of the page and then select your state from the drop-down menu
What are the main characteristics of Motorhomes or RVs in the USA?
The majority of motorhome, RV's, caravans and camping cars in the USA have a gas engine and automatic transmission. A gas stove and an Oven / Microwave instrument are always almost available for cooking in the camping cars in USA. Many motorhomes are equipped with a Generator. The RVs in USA that are permitted to drive with a standard driving license weigh up to 11000 Lbs. or 5 tons and range from 7 meters (22 feet) up to 12 meters (35 feet) long. Motorhomes over 12 meters, and diesel pushers require a class G. driver's license to drive in the USA.
Passage with a rented motorhome between the United States and Canada is allowed without any problems as long as you have your passports, visas and international documents in order. For driving to Mexico you should apply in prior for an extra insurance for travel to Mexico.
Filling and emptying water and sewer in the USA Rental Motorhome
USA Rental Motorhomes, RV and mobile homes have direct connections to water and sewer, which may be less common in European motorhomes, .For filling the fresh water tank you can use a water hose (supplied) as city water (direct connection on the side of the motorhome) or by filling the water tank via the filling cup. The gray water (water you have used in the shower and sinks) and the black water (the toilet water) is emptied by using a 3" hose connecting in one side to the holding tanks drain valve and in the other end to the sewage system of the campground.
In many national parks in the USA the camping sites do not have a sewage system so filling and empting the holding tanks should be done in a main dump station, usually located in the entrance to the campground. Dumping in unpermitted sites is dangerous, may be hazardous to the environment and is of course illegal and can carry heavy fines.
What can be more attractive for motorhome rentals in USA? RV trips Family Group!
Another possibility is USA RV trip group tours. Usually 8-10 RV's in a group. A trip accompanied by highly experienced guides who know almost any parking spot or attractions on your route. Group tours are designed for most families with children of all ages. A common quote from those returning fromthese group trips is "We started as families and we came back as a big family"
FAQ - motorhome Rental in USA
Do I need a special driver’s license to drive a motor home in the USA?
All you need is to possess a valid driver’s license and a recognized credit card. No special endorsement is needed. Temporary licenses are not accepted. Authorized operators 21-25 years of age may be subject to an extra fee. In some instances credit and employment references or a foreign passport are required prior to the rental and will be verified. All drivers must be present, listed on and sign the Rental Agreement and will be bound by Terms and Conditions of the Rental Agreement at vehicle pick up.
Big rigs or diesel pusher motorhomes over 12 meters or 35 feet in legnth require a G driving license.
How old do I need to be to make a motorhome Hire in the USA?
In the USA, the renter´s minimum age is 21 years. For the diesel pusher RV group, the minimum age is 25 years.
What are toll roads, and do I have to pay to use them?
Toll roads are roads which charge a fee in exchange for access through to your destination. You will likely pass through toll roads if you are driving your motorhome through metropolitan areas.
When driving an RV Rental in the USA, you are responsible for paying toll fees, so it is important to be aware of these roads before you travel. Most navigation tools such as Google Maps and Waze will warn you about those unless you set the warning off. Sometimes the toll route is recommeneded for better safety or tuse of driving time. Refer to the toll road information driving in USA toll roads when you plan your trip or your next leg.
Safe Driving for motorhomes In the USA
· Driving in the USA is on the right-hand side of the road. If you come from a country where motorists drive on the right -hand side of the road, there’s not much more to know, and you should easily adjust to driving in USA by following local driving customs and laws.
If you come from Australia, UK, Ireland, Japan or from any other country where people drive on the Left-hand side of the road, there’ll be a bit to get used to, and take that into account for the first days of your trip, to be conservative on distances and give yourself time to adjust for better safety and more fun.
· Always park in a well-lit area, to allow for an easy exit.
· Always park in reverse into the parking spot if possible, to allow for an easy exit.
· Have your keys ready when you return to the vehicle.
· If your vehicle has remote control central locking, it's a good idea to set it so that it only opens the driver's door.
· Try to keep a charged mobile phone with you at all times for use in an emergency.
How do I get to the rental location?
In most cases USA motorhome rental centers, you will pick up and drop off your motorhome in the rental center itself. In some motorhome rental centers in USA you will need to arrange your own transportation to and from motorhome Rental in USA locations. Some RV rental centers offer shuttles from airports or airport and hotels and back to the airport at the end of the rental, at an extra fee. When booking through us this option will be made available in advance with all the information.
What documents do I need to bring?
· A valid driver's license. The license CANNOT expire during the rental period. Any additional drivers to be added on the contract must have their current driver's license as well and must be present personally at pickup.
· A major credit card with sufficient available credit.
- Sufficient cash for a deposit. rare but possible in some cases.
· If you are an International customer, please bring your Passport.
Can I add additional drivers to the rental contract?
Yes, however they must be present at the time of pickup and have a valid driver's license that will not expire during the length of the motorhome rental contract. Additional fees may apply at some locations.
What kind of security Deposit is required?
The security Deposit for recreational vehicle rentals in the USA is usually US$ 500-1,500 hold on a recognized credit card. Some suppliers require to leave a deposit only via Visa credit card or MasterCard. Some (fewer) rental stations in USA require leaving a cash deposit and do not accept credit card deposits.
When you receive your motorhome rental voucher, it will contain a note about how to pay the deposit. It is highly recommended to be well prepared in advance for deposit payment as required because no motorhome in USA delivered without leaving the deposit as required by the law.
When can I pick up and drop off the motorhome?
In most cases, USA motorhome pick up is between 13:00 and 16:00 depending on vehicle readiness. Please allow 1-2 hours for pick up procedures.
Drop off should usually be between 09:00-11:00 and takes no more than 30 minutes ubnles there are problems or accidents to report.
It is possible to pick up in the morning or dropping off as late as 16:00 or 17:00 for the cost of one rental day for each and according to availability.
Some stations are closed on Sundays so make sure that you set your other travel arrnagements such as flights and taxis to the proper dates.
Do I need to schedule a pick up time?
No. You just have to come at the pickup hours unless specifically instructed otherwise.
Travel restrictions may apply. Please refer to the terms and conditions of your rented motorhome.
In general, nonpublic roads, logging roads, blocked roads inside parks, parts of Death valley, and crossing to Mexico, are prohibited. Any exception to the restirctions must be coordinated in advance with the retal provider.
Is there any coverage provided with the rental RV?
Yes. In general your rented motorhome will include:
Basic minimum statutory auto liability coverage is included in the rental rates on a secondary basis. All coverages are subject to the Terms and Conditions of the Rental Contract.
Supplemental Liability Insurance (SLI) – Included with USA & Canada Rentals – Not Valid in Mexico
SLI provides excess liability coverage up to a total of $1,000,000 combined single limit of coverage per occurrence against claims made by third parties for bodily injury, death, and/or property damage caused by operation of the vehicle. EXCLUSIONS APPLY. A partial list is contained in the Rental Contract. Please check at departure.
Coverage Summaries – USA Departures
Provided you abide by the Terms and Conditions of the Rental Agreement, report accidents and/or damage promptly, and avoid prohibited vehicle uses, your coverages include:
Auto Liability: Statutory and excess Supplemental Liability Insurance up to $1,000,000.
Vehicle Damage / Loss: Per occurrence or incident, only $1,000 of responsibility. You are covered for amounts in excess of $1,000 under most conditions.
Trip Reimbursement: Travel Expenses incurred as a result of mechanical breakdown up to $3,000 per tour.
Please refer to insurance terms of your specific rental motorhome
Can we travel one way to other destination or do we alwyas have do a round trip?
One Way reservations are available in USA eith some providers. Take note that one way rentals are subject to an additional drop fee. Drop fees depend on pick-up or drop-off location, rental dates and vehicle availability.
Is it difficult to drive a motorhome in the USA?
Motorhomes handle themselves much like a big car. Motorhomes in the USA are not difficult to drive, and that is one reason why hey have become so popular. If you are an experienced driver, you can adapt to the greater size, weight, and height of a recreational vehicle fairly easily. However, when you are behind the wheel of your RV, it is a good idea to make use of all your defensive driving skills. We highly recommend to drive calmly and surely and to always stay on the safe side with your decisions.
Staying alert, planning ahead and driving defensively are critical to the safe handling of your RV. When you become one of the big rigs on the road, you are responsible for the safety of your passengers as well as the safety of the other vehicles with which you share the road. Always keep a cool head and make sure that if you are disturbed by something inside or outside the motorhome you stop and take care of the situation. Always stop in permitted areas and stay clear a far as possible from the driving lanes if you stop.
Is there a limit to how many people can ride in the motorhome?
We understand the confusion these situations create. Therefore, we recommend the following:
- NEVER exceed the maximum capacity as posted for the actual vehicle you will be using. Maximum capacity includes the vehicle, all fluids, all occupants and their gear.
- All passengers should use the provided seatbelts. The total number of seatbelts will vary according to the vehicle and according to the floor plan of the actual vehicle you are using.
- Child safety seats should be used where applicable. The installation and use of these seats should follow the recommendation of the child seat manufacturer.
- Overhead areas designed only for sleeping should not be occupied while the vehicle is in motion.
- The vehicle should be properly secured prior to travel. This includes locking the doors and dead-bolting them where applicable. Stow the entry step and secure the outside compartments
Is it possible to travel with an RV in USA during the winter, in colder areas?
Yes it's possible and there are magnificaent things to see also in winter. However some very important things to note:
- In locations with harsh winter weather, motorhomes are "winterized" i.e. treated for winter from approximately November to March. This means the owners have drained the water and holding tanks, and filled them with anti-freeze liquid. This will prevent the tanks and pipes from freezing and bursting, and water is not avaialble through the tanks and must be counght and carried additionally.
- In some cases there's an option to to have your rental motorhome "de-winterized" (so that you can use your sink, shower, and toilet) . This it will cost between $50-150. If you choose this option, you will need to exercise extreme care while travelling in a "de-winterized" motorhome during frigid weather. You will need to run the heater at all times to protect the tanks and pipes from freeze damage, and in extreme cases you may need to put anti-freeze in the water and holding tanks (by doing so, you can only use the toilet). If the pipes or tanks were damaged from freezing, it is considered negligent damage and you may be asked to pay a $5000 deductible for the repairs. If you have any more questions on the rental policies during winter, please contact the rental center where your trip would originate. They can provide you with specific information.
Are there any places where we cannot take the motorhome?
Yes. Coverage's are invalid if problems occur in some restricted areas and all recovery expenses are at the renter’s own cost. Violations of these restrictions void damage waivers and the renter will be held liable for all vehicle damages including to tires, towing charges and other related expenses as a result of a breakdown associated with operating in these areas.
Please strictly refer to the terms and condition in each motorhome terms and condition page.
How much does it cost to stay in campgrounds?
Campground rates vary based on time of year and what facilities they offer. Generally you can expect to pay between USD$ 20 and US$ 150 per night depending on the season, demand for the location and the level of facilities provided. A simple spot with no elctercity and water will usully be be on the low end of prices and a park with full hookups, a pull through parking spot, direct access to facilities, a swimming pool, attractions for kids, etcwill be on the higher end of prices.
Campervans and motorhomes in the USA are handed over to you in a clean and tidy condition on the inside as well as on the outside, and shall also be returned by you in a clean and tidy state. External cleaning is usually included in the price. If, following return of the vehicle, inside cleaning, emptying of the sewage water tank and / or emptying of the toilet holding tank have to be carried out by the rental provider, whether in part or in full, they will charge a cleaning fee. Please note that such possibly incurred costs are to be paid directly on site.
How and where will I get fresh water on the way?
You can get fresh water for filling purposes at many petrol stations and camping grounds as well as at thousands of supply and disposal stations.
In most cases, only a small fee will be charged for filling up fresh water.
Are there any size restrictions on campgrounds or parking lots?
There may be some campgrounds that will not allow RVs above an overall length of approx. 10 m. / 30 feet
Is it possible to camp in the wild?
We do not recommend to camp in unofficial places for security reasons. However "Overnight Parking" in the wild is very common in places that are not campsites, where you are officially allowed to stop over with your motorhome. Many of these stop-over sites are equipped with motorhome facilities like sanitary stations or hookups. Some charge a fee, some don't.
How am I to behave in case of an accident or in the event of damage?
Upon handover of the motorhome to you, you will receive a damage report from which you are obliged to complete in any event of accident. In case of fire, theft, damage caused by game animals or other damage, police and the renting station must be notified. The renting station must also be notified of any details concerning the circumstances of any accident.
Claims for damages of other parties involved in the accident must not be acknowledged.
Electric plugs RV parks in the USA and Canada
Motorhomes in USA connect to a main 110-120 volt, at 60 hertz frequency.
To connect your motorhome to main electrical network you should use a marine plug and a few sockets
To connect your own electrical equipment in your rented motorhome in USA you should use a dedicated plug
Book your motorhome campgrounds in USA
if you are arrving from abroad or from a distant location, book a flight that matches your rental dates
Motorhome rental in USA
Motorhome rental in Canada